Case for Success
Giving a Little Means Getting a Lot In Return
Shake Shack, a partner since 2012, has seen tremendous guest acceptance and enthusiasm around their annual Great American Shake Sale. By thanking guests for their generosity with an offer of greater value, guests returned the favor to Shake Shack in the form of visits, incremental spend, and loyalty.
Raised nearly $600,000 in 2016
51 participating locations
Redemption rate of 34%
Raised over $1.7 million since 2012
- Partner with a national nonprofit that aligns with Shake Shack’s mission to Stand For Something Good. ®
- Shake Shack took inspiration from the Great American Bake Sale’s efforts to fight hunger and created their very own Great American Shake Sale. 2016 was the 5th annual Shake Sale.
- Guests who donated $2 or more to No Kid Hungry received a coupon for a complimentary shake on their next visit.
- Shake Shack engaged their team members by educating them on the issue of childhood hunger and creating an in-house competition for the location that raised the most money.
- The brand generated buzz in their restaurants through use of signage and outfitting team members in No Kid Hungry buttons and sunglasses.
- 2016 was their first year using co-branded cups featuring an eye-catching orange band and the No Kid Hungry logo.
- Shake Shack raised $597,465 from 51 locations in 2016.
- The company saw a coupon redemption rate of 34% from May 1 – June 30, 2016, equivalent to 99,447 shakes.
- The average guest spent an additional $8.46 per redemption.
- The Great American Shake Sale has raised over $1.7 million for No Kid Hungry since 2012.
“We are thrilled with the results of Shake Shack’s 5th Annual Great American Shake Sale. Through engagement on the executive level, an integrated marketing plan, comprehensive training, a competitive spirit, and desire to do good in our communities we created an effective and comprehensive promotion. Our guests clearly shared our enthusiasm for No Kid Hungry. During the months of May and June, we had a 34% redemption rate. On average, these guests spent an additional $8.46 when redeeming their coupons. Not only did we achieve a companywide promotion to publically support our national charity of choice, the program unified our growing team and drove our business objectives - icing on the shake!”
- Zach Koff, Vice President of Operations, Shake Shack